The days are getting shorter and the nights are getting colder and my longing for comfort food as started to rouse from its slumber. I am not completely ready to give up yet on some decent weather but when I pulled the heaters out of the loft this week I knew I couldn’t deny the inevitable much longer.
One of the things that I love about the colder weather is the slow cooked meals and the robust flavours. Standing at the stove making slow cooked food is my Bonnydoon, it is all about the serenity. But weeknight serenity is not always feasible so I have Clayton’s serenity food, relatively quick to make, doesn’t require constant supervision but gives you the comfort you are looking for.
What is your favourite Comfort food?
Meatballs in Tomato sauce.
- 500 gms beef mince
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- handful of parmesan
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 chilli chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar of pasta sauce of your choice
- 1 cup of white wine
- Bacon stock cube
1. Fry onion chilli and garlic together in a pot with some olive oil.
2. Add the white wine and boil until reduced by half.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes and fill half the can with boiling water and add stock cube. Mix until stock cube dissolved, then add to the sauce.
4. Allow sauce to simmer and reduce slightly before adding the pasta sauce.
5. Leave sauce to simmer gently while you make the meatballs
6. Mix the mince, herbs, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan and ketchup in a bowl, best to do this with your hands until it feels combined
7. Form into small balls, I used approximately 1 heaped tsp per ball.
8. Drop the meatballs into the simmering sauce and cook for 15 mins.
9. Serve with vegetables or short pasta.